Tuesday 9 June 2009

Today of thought

Normally, I always pop in a candy stand calls あかね to get some snacks for my break time at school. This morning I was really impressed by a group of 4 primary school students who, I guessed, are not more than ten years old. They are in the school uniform with the special red cap on top of their heads.

While I was in line to get a receipt of my purchase, I noticed that a group of students were walking back and forth in the shop. At the first glance, I thought, they may came as the normal customers. Suddently, a boy who was carrying a paper holder led the group to talk to the shop owner. Their behaviour was surely attracted my special attention at that moment.

You know what they were doing??? Incredable! incredable! the paper which were on the holder was the questionaires...they were conducting a survey about the business of this shop. Immediately, it recalled me of my past schooling experience at their age, especially of when I came to understand about what survey is.

Along the way up to my campus, this became the topic of self -discussion which is comparing the curriculum of primary school education of this country with my country. Truely, this is a part of study tour which is included in its official curriculum. It starts to train their young chilren at really early stage aiming for group work responsibility, development of interpersonal skill of dealing with people out there in the society, I guess.

The concept of nature and nurture presents its very essential roles in this discussion, in the particular way that baby is just like a blank slate. Thus they need education. But why education is different from countries another, why developed country like Japan is successful doing such an important introduction, how about developing country such as Cambodia. All of these questions are not new. Both official and unofficial discussion about these occured most of time.

Optimistically, based on the principle of nature and nurture, I personally think skill development should be raised up at early age. Thus should such a program be gested considering for a sernior high school curriculum in our country with no mention about an equivalent level to education in Japan?

No comments: